Noah’s Story – The diagnosis

In April of 2014, Noah Wilson was diagnosed with cancer. He had been complaining about his back hurting and it had grown progressively worse, to the point that it was difficult for him to walk. His mom and dad had taken him to the emergency room and to the doctor, only to come home with simple remedies to help with the pain. Finally, on Good Friday, his mom and dad took him to the ER and told the doctor that they weren’t going home until they found out what was wrong with their son.

That night he underwent a chest x-ray because he was having difficulty breathing. The x-ray showed the mass on his lower spine behind his lung. Because of the type of mass and location, the ER doctor was sure that he had cancer. However, Noah needed more tests to identify exactly which cancer. He was immediately transported to Children’s Mercy Hospital. And Noah’s battle began. He was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, a rare cancer that most commonly attacks the long bones in an adolescent’s body. Being discovered in a six year old, and in his spine, was even more rare. The Wilson family’s lives would be changed forever.

Noah endured countless test, procedures, surgeries, chemo treatments, and much more – yet managed to do so without ever losing his sense of joy. He experienced first hand what it meant to live part of his life in a hospital room, to lose his hair, and to lose some of the freedoms that other kids his age enjoy. However, Noah did not let his circumstances define him. With a maturity far beyond his years, Noah turned his illness into an opportunity to help other kids like him and turned his pain into a way to bring smiles to others.

After eight months,  Noah was declared cancer free but continued his chemotherapy and radiation plan according to standard protocol. He had his final chemotherapy dose in May of 2015 and finished radiation a month later. Naturally, Noah and his family were overjoyed and happily looked forward to the next chapter of his life. And Noah continued to care about other sick kids, so his bandage project continued to grow.

On June 27, 2015, Noah’s mom noticed a bruise on his leg and called the doctor to see if it was of concern. He told her to bring him in for a checkup. Right away they suspected that he had developed a secondary cancer, AML Leukemia, due to the chemotherapy treatments. AML Leukemia was confirmed on Monday morning, the 29th and Noah passed away the next day, June 30, 2015. This cancer was very aggressive and took over too quickly for the doctors to intervene. In honor of Noah and his legacy, Noah’s Bandage Project continues, and will continue to help kids all across the globe.